What width gas fireplace can I have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house that currently has a fireplace (surround etc) with a gas inset fire. The house, detached is approx. 15 years old

The chimney is external (so juts out on the outside wall rather than inside),

We want to go for one of the gas hole in the wall fires, so we're looking to replace the existing fireplace and the fire.

I've had two gas safe engineers out, but they're conflicted each other, in terms of the max size fire we can have. Both visited the house, has a quick look inside, and then spent as few minutes outside measuring the chimney breast.

One fitter says we needs to take two brick length off the left and right sides (for structural reasons), the remainder size is the max fire we can have (in this case 60cm).

The other fitter says we needs to take one brick widths off the left and right sides (again for structural reasons), the remainder size again is the max fire we can have, but in this case they stated we can have almost any fireplace out there.... I queried could we have one sized 80-90cm and they confirmed yes...

Can anyone please confirm who is correct

The reason for asking is the 1st fitter has fireplace package that we really like the look of, but he's stating it's approx. 80cm for the fire so cannot be fitted without major structural changes.

Both confirmed the depth is not a problem, and the chimney itself is fine for any type of fire.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Doesn't really help much.
I can only assume that the structure where the fireplace opens to the chimney is support by a lintel. That length of that would dictate how much can be removed.
The lintel will need to sit on 150mm support either side. Any thing less than that and I would not be happy with.

In my opinion, it is not something that pictures/photo can really help with, it is something that needs to be inspected and calculated correctly.

OP: does your chimney have a traditional lintel,or a as the age of your home would suggest, a precast gather and lintel something similar to this:
http://www.goodwins.ie/p-256-concrete-flue-gatherer.aspx

If you have this type of thing, you cannot raise the height, which often precludes a large modern fire being fitted, as it will be too low. Of course, practically anything is possible, with a deep pocket, but the work required is significant, and a builders job, not a gasmans.

If you have a traditional flue, which gathers from the builders opening, (typically 500 mm - 600mm wide or thereabouts), to a 9" square chimney, you have to decide upon the height required and then calculate how much width is available, as you will be in the angles formed by the gather. If a client of mine wants a fire quite high, and they are definitely going to do SOMETHING, I mark out the position of the top corners of the firebox in the desired position. Sometimes it is clear to us both that there is no way it will work, if it looks possible, I then use a long drill and drill through the face - proving the case one way or the other.

In short,it is difficult to fit a modern wide fire to a standard chimney

EDIT: Having re read the post, the guy who has it in stock is probably correct - it suggests he has experience, and would obviously like the sale. So he wouldn't try to talk you out of it if it was straightforward. How wide is the opening without any work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back