What will a lintel be made of in a 1990s Barratt home? Which Plugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to put a curtain rail up. The previous owner has obviously struggled attempting it there is about 12 holes!

The walls are dot and dab, what will the lintel be made of so i know what sort of drill bit and what plugs shall I use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1990s Barrett house huh? Possibly ranges from putty to steel. But most likely judging by the previous attempt reinforced concrete. What drill do you have. An SDS drill would be ideal, with something like an dewalt extreme 2 masonry bit. Plugs... browns ones (prefer the fischer equivalent myself)

In the 90's was most likely a steel catnic or similar. Could be he was using a masonry bit to go through steel. If you look at outside above the frame just below the brickwork you may see the edge of the external bit of the lintel.

Sponsored Links
Catnic probably - I've got a button magnet stuck to a pencil - drill hole ( or use one of the 12 existing) and insert the magnet:idea: edit - Just to see if it's a metal lintel;)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back