What Would Happen?

Not sure about that, they work in your best interests but can be overcautious. If things did come back to bite a buyer they would blame their solicitor first.
 
No, it comes up because it is one of the questions on the TA6 form.
Indeed, and if the seller lies when filling out that form, then that can come back to bite them - in very expensive ways.

If they don't admit that the CU was changed, then that's falsifying the information on the form. For transactions typically involving hundreds of £k, you really don't want to be doing that.
If they do say it's been done, and there are no certificates, then the buyers solicitor will go into auto-stop mode and flag this up as needing rectifying before purchase. Even if the buyer is happy to accept the risk, it'll delay things while the solicitors "discuss" it.

OK, for a CU change, assuming it's been done right, then it's not likely to be a problem. But I recall reading about cases where it was more serious, and it's led to some eye watering costs for the seller - technically, the buyer could be entitled to demand their money back if there's been a serious problem and the sellers information was fraudulent. Or the buyer could demand the seller pay all the costs of rectification - again, could be expensive is there are serious structural issues.

Of course, I would be rather wary if a seller said there had been no electrical works since (IIRC) 2005. Over 2 decades, no electrical works, raises questions for me. "Nothing notifiable", OK; "none", raises questions.
 
When I was a registered with a competant person scheme electrical I did a job on my own home and notified it. My wife was down as the recipienr of the cert and I was down as the contractor - both at the same address .
On the next "Snake and Mongoose Event" (surveillance visit) it was sugested by my inspector chappy that this could be recorderd as an inspected sample of my works.
Yes OK but, as this was only 1 circuit, I still insisted that one of my complete house rewires be done as a sample inspection - I always preffered having a few of them each year to put forward as examples for the simple reason they could be noted as a sample in completeness or per circuit type in any way they wanted in order to give a realistic appraisal of my works and would contain any aspect of what might be inspected.
 
No, it comes up because it is one of the questions on the TA6 form.
I just looked at what I think is the latest version of the TA6 form (annoyingly the law society don't seem to post it directly) and it no longer seems to mention notifiable electrical works specifically. It asks if the seller is "aware of electrical works carried out to the property" and if-so asks them to "give details". It also asks if certificates are available, but it no longer seems to mention notifiable works explicitly or mention 2005.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top