What would you do here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, very interested on hearing what you guys would do here..

I'm renovating the whole house (trying at least) I'm now onto room 2! (a Pro probably would have done the entire house in the time it took me to do the first room :mrgreen: but I'm enjoying it)

OK.. I've decided to remove the tops of the door frames, I've already done one and it looks fine but it took alot of messing about, just wondering how you guys would go about it? I've removed the glass and arch, then just kept putting plasterboard in until it was near level, then filled it. Is that the best way?

Also, the door backs onto the cupboard, kind of a weird setup.. I was thinking of removing the cupboard door and just having it open, again.. what do you think? any tips, advice or suggestions?

I'll be plastering the whole room once all this is sorted..

Huge thanks in advance!

Img_2393_zps320856d9.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi. If you "very neatly"cut/saw away the whole top part of the doorframe, (top and both sides), you will be able to construct and fix a wooden frame in it's place, and then plasterboard out flush on this sde of the wall, and also on the other side. Once you have framed and boarded, tape all three joints on each side of the wall, then you're ready to plaster/skim. Make sure you leave enough depth for the plasterboard on both sides of wall. You could do the same to the cupboard door. It'll work a treat.
Keep the top pieces of architrave, because you can probably use them again over the top of the door/s when you've finished.

The windows are for lighting the landing. I'd leave them if I were you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I thought about the light but they look old and dated, I'd rather have a run of ceiling lights. Plus the doors are usually open anyway so there will be light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back