What would you do?

• Thread starter sparkyspike
  • Start date
S

sparkyspike

In an installation I have just tested (for a CU change), there is a copper gas supply pipe in a ground floor bathroom running a few feet up the wall and then capped. There is no meter, just the supply pipe.

I have measured the resistance to the MET and it has come out as less than 22,000 Ohms at 250v

So, it is extraneous.

The electrical regs state that you should bond the installation side of the gas meter - but not exclusively. I am unaware of any electrical or gas regulation prohibiting the connection of a bonding clamp to the gas supply pipe.

Does anyone know of one?

Would you bond the supply pipe?

Sponsored Links
gas supply pipes aren't made of copper. Obviously from the electrical point of view, if it's extraneous metallic, then bond it. But you might want to further investigate if there is another point of entry somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Yep bond it.

If there is no meter, you cant bond after it, so just bond within 600mm of the point of entry to the equipotential zone.

AFAIK, the only reason you are supposed to bond after the meter / stoptap is incase the utilities company swaps their mains for plastic and leaves the consumers pipework not bonded as a result.

Also, the meter might not be conductive.

There is no reason not to bond this pipe.

AFAIK, the only reason you are supposed to bond after the meter / stoptap is incase the utilities company swaps their mains for plastic and leaves the consumers pipework not bonded as a result.

Also, the meter might not be conductive.

There is no reason not to bond this pipe.

I have to agree. I've looked through some of the gas regs: Even if I bond the supply pipe and then a meter is fitted at a later date (which may or may not be conductive), the gas fitter has a duty to inform the occupants that bonding is still required. So no problem there. And no specific restriction on bonding supply pipes.

So, floorboards up tomorrow!

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back