What would you do....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....If you suspected someone was not gas safe registered...and you had already paid them?

Sponsored Links
Report for sure. Unregistered installers, are taking the bread from our mouths. Always ask for and check registration details before an engineer undertakes any work for you. 300 for a day is cheap and a registered installer would struggle to do the job for so little. Get the work checked by gas safe as it will be free and they will take action against the installer if he is in fact not registered.

Sponsored Links
you can check on the gas safe register
ask him for a certificate or registration number
and why now after job is complete and payment is made,just curious

Why delete most of you first post Jim?

well I realised it would be dead easy for the person to work out I was talking about him...the chances are slim but I want to make sure the guy who runs the business notifies gas safe first.....he will probably put his own name on the install paperwork....then he has put it all in writing. That puts me in a pretty strong position to do something or at least threaten to.....!

Jim

you can check on the gas safe register
ask him for a certificate or registration number
and why now after job is complete and payment is made,just curious

Well he has been really difficult about notifying gas safe about the install. Made me think a bit as to why.......

I know about the web site and the company has a number....it's the engineer that couldn't give me his own number. Smells a bit eh!?

Jim

Report for sure. Unregistered installers, are taking the bread from our mouths. Always ask for and check registration details before an engineer undertakes any work for you. 300 for a day is cheap and a registered installer would struggle to do the job for so little. Get the work checked by gas safe as it will be free and they will take action against the installer if he is in fact not registered.

I thought I had....the guy who came to quote was registered then he sent someone else who said he doesn't do gas work all the time....made me think. How much does it cost per year to keep up your gas safe registration as an individual?

My God life's a struggle on £300 per day - minimum wage isn't that for a week. :rolleyes:

BTW, what work did he do? Was it inside the combustion chamber? Did he do it wrong?

im gas safe registered and would love to make £300 everyday.not a chance around here,am i missing out ? do i need to move south!!??

At 300 a day charged an engineer would take between 8 and 12 per hour before tax. A bus driver in London gets just short of 9 how much do you earn as a heating engineer? And if you want to live in a show box and sit in tragic always come work in the smoke.

I'm gonna have to laff. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Same pay as a bus driver? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My God life's a struggle on £300 per day - minimum wage isn't that for a week. :rolleyes:

BTW, what work did he do? Was it inside the combustion chamber? Did he do it wrong?

Not as far as I know.....just put in a new Combi.....connected gas, hot cold supply, flue etc....did a gas test and switched it on. The figure did include a bit for parts....maybe 40 quids worth at most though.....

To be honest I'm more concerned about the principle.....if I'd wanted to do an illegal install I could have done it myself and kept the cash.

Jim

if you know the business number you can check their engineers, gas safe web site check a business

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back