What would you do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new Potterton boiler fitted. The plumber tried to commision the boiler today and could not get it to work.

The supplier has said that the unit can not be returned and exchanged and that a Potterton engineer must firstly inspect the boiler.

The engineer is not available until next Wednesday.

Not exactly good customer service from Potterton.

Should I insist that the boiler is replaced as it is not fit for purpose ?

Sponsored Links
Plumber could take boiler back for replacement and plumbers merchant would exchange, at least mine would, but what diagnosis does your heating engineer come up with about your boiler. He must know more than 'it doen't work!'

Sponsored Links
surfrider said:
The plumber tried to commision the boiler today and could not get it to work.
With such limited info, all I can suggest is, get another 'plumber', who can get it to work.

Have you tried posting on a citizens advice type forum?

Is your plumber really CORGI registered?

If so why is he unable to diagnose the fault?

If he is so incompetent then its quite likely that he has fitted it wrongly. If thats the case then its hardly Potty's fault is it?

Most reported problems with newer boilers are as a result of installer error.

I went to one earlier in the week and in spite of BG telling him there was a flue fault he failed to find it. He had fitted the flue elbow without any seal which places it At Risk. It turns out he is not CORGI registered as he was doing the job on the side and is therefore unable to notify CORGI of the installation although he did fill in the Benchmark using his employer's CORGI number.

A visit by a Potty engineer may become chargeable if its an installer error.

Tony

Yep - it's a hair-tearing-out situation with consequences everywhere. Suppose the installer has forgotten to do something or other, etc, etc. I took a boiler back a few days after buying it, but the same day I installed it, once, with some resistance from the shop. They told me that if the mfr found it wasn't faulty I'd have to have it back and pay for its replacement.

Let me just say that I was absolutely 100% confident that that boiler had at least one fault on it.............

I'd raise merry hell with Potterton if it's they who are the stumbling block. Mention "Recent publicity about poor customer service..." but you're right, the contract is between the shop and the plumber.

Is there an 'idiot proof' flow switch on one of then heating pipes coming off the boiler? Could be that faulty or not connected.

I dont know if they all come with this but new build certainly do, to stop monkeys on site from firing up a dry boiler :rolleyes:

Do they baxpoti?

gas4you said:
Is there an 'idiot proof' flow switch on one of then heating pipes coming off the boiler? Could be that faulty or not connected.

I dont know if they all come with this but new build certainly do, to stop monkeys on site from firing up a dry boiler

Its only necessary if there is plastic pipe in the system

Is that because experience has proved that plastic plumbing has a very high risk of leaking?

Agile said:
Is that because experience has proved that plastic plumbing has a very high risk of leaking?

Something to do with a gentleman by the name of 'John Guest' maybe?

Agile said:
Another bunch of ill-informed nonsense about plastic pipe and push-fit fittings.

S'funny that the people who complain that plastic is unusable are the same people who don't know how to use it and haven't bothered to find out. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
Another bunch of ill-informed nonsense about plastic pipe and push-fit fittings.
S'funny that the people who complain that plastic is unusable are the same people who don't know how to use it and haven't bothered to find out. :rolleyes:
I did all my house in Hep2o 4 years ago, wonderful stuff.

With the price of copper as it is, it's now a very good option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back