Whatever happened to fibreboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm attempting to build a drum practice room and am the point where the second ceiling is about to go up - I've done this a couple of times before over the years and would always put a layer of fibreboard in the cavity between layers (this stuff: https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/12mm-fibreboard-sheet-2200mm-x-1220mm)

The problem is that now it seems that hardly anyone sells it and no one wants to deliver it - I'm out in the sticks of Romford and this is just too far for any supplier I've found so far

I see many mentions of this material on this forum but nothing very recent, did fibreboard go out of style or maybe it's just called something else now?

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone willing to sell/deliver some to greater London I'd be very grateful!

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum. As you are a newbie, you are probably not aware that 'Your Projects' is the wrong forum for your post and is unlikely to be seen by those that could answer your question. The instructions for this forum refer. You can see them here.

Sundaela still make it. It is still used for notice boards. Sundaela are in Dursley. At one time they also had a factory near Marks Tey on the A12

Sponsored Links
Not the same stuff, the fibreboard Somemoron wants is the type used for expansion gaps and seemingly mostly available in strips rather than full sheets nowadays. These have a branch in London too.

Last edited:
Thanks Stem, sorry about that!

I had a look at the Selco link but they only seem to do 9mm and it's nearly £60 a sheet (I think it was about £6 the last time I bought this) so I had a look at the Sundeala site - They list Travis Perkins as a supplier but I could only see 9mm pinboard there at £80 a sheet which doesn't bode well

That link from insulationgo.co.uk looks promising so thanks Charlie - I'll try calling them tomorrow

I did wonder about Celotex but I think it's better for thermal than acoustic purposes - I suppose if all else fails I can use carpet/underlay

Thanks for all your suggestions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back