What's a Reasonable price for replacing an oil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware that there are a lot of variables, but what would be a reasonable price for replacing an old oil tank with a new one about 5 metres away?

Tank would be 2500l or less, no bunding required.

If we exclude the cost of the tank itself, what is reasonable for the work?

Nearest £500 would do.

Suspect I've had a ripoff quote.

Thanks,

CJ

Sponsored Links
Nearest £500? £500-£2500. Depends on so many things, if you suspect you've had a high quote, get another one from someone else, but not on here where we can't see the job and what's involved.

Don't forget disposal of the old one, de-gassing, cutting up and taking to an authorised site.

Also - CHECK the latest Regulations regarding oil tanks it is very likely that you will need a Bunded Tank in accordance with the latest criteria there will be VERY FEW single skinned tanks fitted in future!!

including disposal (we have to drive our old plastic tanks to a recyling center 80 miles away!) I would think around £1000 - £1200 to construct the base and then return to fit the tank transfer oil and clear site.
make sure the company doing the work has a Waste Carriesr Licence and completes the consignment documents ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, boilerman2, you hit the price spot on for our second quote.

Turns out our first quote was from a cowboy after all.

CJ

Almost EVERYONE does the same thing they get 1 quote then ask themselves "ooh is that too much" get quotes, doesnt matter if its 5 or 6 ...even 10 or 12, just because there is one that is super cheap..oh great that'll be great, but is the tank being disposed of properly NOT dumped in a ditch (yes I have been out to a tank dumped in a ditch) just think responsible as it could be possible that you may end up being liable, & if in doubt do your homework, (has these ppl done many tanks, are they registered to handle waste (waste licence), is their quality of work acceptable?) I used to work for a company who had a very high rating for tank installation

i recently did a connection of a new tank.

run 4 meters from tank into iso valve, then into fire valve. then through wall, along wall 1 metre, through another wall, 1 metre and into boiler, connected to wheel head valve, then into oil line-burner.

all connections had the brass inserts for the copper oil line.

took about 3 steady hours all in all.

including the oil line, inserts, fire valve, and iso valve, i charged £200. they installed the tank which was putting it on a concrete pad with a dip for cleaning the filter.

i always recomend a steel tank over a plastic tank.

Thanks, boilerman2, you hit the price spot on for our second quote.

Turns out our first quote was from a cowboy after all.

CJ

Being expensive doesn't actually make them a cowboy, they may actually be extremely competent and may have seen works that need doing that others may have missed. There could be any number of legitimate reasons for them quoting an apparently high price

there will be VERY FEW single skinned tanks fitted in future!!

thats just not true.

if you can get a single skinned tank, someone will fit it. just like a non condensing oil boiler!

i have fitted loads more non condensing boilers than condensing.

mainly coz they're simply so much better and will last longer! so....better for the enviroment in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back