What's allowed

If your not going to do any heavy work in the garage using for example lathes or welders and it's just going to be a few lights and sockets for the usual plug in items you could install a fcu off an existing ring final and then install a 4mm radial from the fcu for everything in the garage, then you wouldn't have any notifiable work

Sponsored Links
Not an electrician but I do non notifiable work on my house, I was unaware of the requirement to issue myself with a certificate.
It's a 'requirement' of BS 7671 but, as has been said, compliance with that is not a legal requirement, nor 'mandatory' for any other reason.
Do I have to keep the certificate, or show it to anyone, seems a bit pointless?
You theoretically would have to give it to yourself and then, I suppose, show it to anyone who had a legitimate reason for wanting to see it ()e.g. a prospective buyer of your house) - but, again, there is no compulsion to do any of that.

It would seem that some people are more concerned about 'rules and regulations' (even 'non-mandatory' ones) than about common sense.

Kind Regards, John

If your not going to do any heavy work in the garage using for example lathes or welders and it's just going to be a few lights and sockets for the usual plug in items you could install a fcu off an existing ring final and then install a 4mm radial from the fcu for everything in the garage, then you wouldn't have any notifiable work
Why would you need a FCU when using 4mm² - or vice versa?

You don't 'have' to but I prefer to have a simple way to isolate a garage circuit, of course you can just spur the 4mm straight off an existing ring final socket.

Id also prefer to blow an fcu fuse if the garage circuit is overloaded than just trip an mcb in the cu which may disrupt others I the property.

Sponsored Links
You don't 'have' to but I prefer to have a simple way to isolate a garage circuit, of course you can just spur the 4mm straight off an existing ring final socket.
That's not the point/question EFLI was making/asking. If you have an FCU, then you wouldn't need 4mm² cable.

Also, in terms of what you've said you could have your 'simple way to isolate the garage' provided by a DP switch - but if the circuit was protected by a 32A device, then you would need 4mm² cable.
Id also prefer to blow an fcu fuse if the garage circuit is overloaded than just trip an mcb in the cu which may disrupt others I the property.
You may be lucky, but I wouldn't put money on the FCU fuse blowing first.

Kind Regards, John

What do you believe a 'registered electrician' is?

The trouble is that sparks advertise themselves in local papers and on postcards in the newsagents' windows variously described as "Part P electrician", "Registered electrician" and "Certified electrician", amongst others.

The general public believe these descriptions to mean the person is qualified to work as an electrician.

Reactions: CBW
The trouble is that sparks advertise themselves in local papers and on postcards in the newsagents' windows variously described as "Part P electrician", "Registered electrician" and "Certified electrician", amongst others. The general public believe these descriptions to mean the person is qualified to work as an electrician.
Indeed - whereas, of course, none of those descriptions mean anything useful at all!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back