Whats causing this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This external wall has had a render pebbledash/stucco? finish added at some stage, although looks within the last few years. As you can see from the pics, part of it has disintergrated.

For some strange reason the wall inside is damp up to a clean 2m high line. Above this, the condition of the plaster significantly improves and my moisture meter picks up no damp. Obviously there is issues below this level. The other walls are stud.

Outside, the stucco finish is solid in the mirrored affected area except for the bit thats fallen off, however my moisture meter tell me its has moisture content for surprisingly the same 2m height. Above that its perfectly dry.

Whats going on?

Am i right in calling this stucco. Is it likely to be a rising damp uissue or did the previous guys fail to put some waterproofer into the render.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1. I cant see properly without my other glasses, but the Tyrolean finish ( if it is Tyrolean) was very poorly applied.

2. The render below the Tyrolean has not "taken" to the background, its been applied in a single float coat without a scratch coat.

3. The actual sand and cement mix seems rather light on cement (or lime) hence, its pretty sandy.

4. Perhaps the first two meters of the metal stairway made it difficult to apply the first 2m of render and finish?

5. How come moisture has crossed the cavity to present on the inside skin is another question? There are a number of possibilities that you might research on here.

6. Perhaps, after removing the paraphernalia, more pics of the bathroom walls alongside and behind the WC.
And, if you'd care to, a pic showing the exterior wall and ground junction?

Looks to me like water bouncing up from the stair treads and soaking the render which has now become soft and porous, and which is expediting further decay

Sponsored Links
Hiya. Yes i think it is tyrolean, sometimes known as sprayed mortar.

Although it doesnt look like a great quality job, by the look of it, it is past its sell by date and you need to have someone rip it all off and reapply, or if it is firmly adhered to the wall, get a wall coating firm to repair it and put something protective over it.

As far as damp, you say it is RISING 2m is that correct? I guess you mean rising from the ground? In that case its ..er... rising damp. Maybe get someone in to take a look, could be a failure of the damp course. Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back