What's going on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By good fortune, my broadband speed increased 5X about a month ago to around 50 Mb/sec but I now seem to have an increasing problem with my browser (& I’ve tried three) in that it constantly slows & finally freezes. Everything works fine after a re-boot & it all zips along but after a couple of hours it all slows down & eventually grinds to a virtual halt. I’m also constantly bombarded by adverts & pop-ups, far more than previously, they always appear first &, ultimately, seem to slow internet search time to virtually zero, slower than it used to be with just 8 Mb/sec! What’s going on? Can I do anything to stop this? Can I reduce this constant advertising bombardment which I’m truly not interested in?

My problem may be unconnected with an increase in BB speed but I’m very suspicious; are 3rd parties filling my registry with crap! I’m on the verge of re-installing Win 10 to clear it all out & start from scratch. I do this every 18-24 months anyway & it always makes a huge difference but my current install is only 8 months old! I’m sure a re-install will cure my current problem but why has this happened & will it just reappear? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply; I was almost at the point of a re-install but decided to boot to an old Win 7 standby OS I keep on a separate drive which always seems to fly along no matter how long since it was last booted! From there, diagnostics highlighted the Win 10 OS had some disc error problems which I managed to fix & all now seems back to normal - for the moment!

Apart from the disaster of Millennium OS, Win 10 to me seems to be the most flaky & temperamental. When it starts to fail, you rarely get any meaningful idea of what’s actually wrong & Restore/Recovery never seems to work when you need it & system repair usually reports "cannot fix the problem"; don’t ya just love software technology!

Sponsored Links
If things slow down I run malwarebytes a couple of times, then ccleaner, couple of times, then Avast, then go through them all again until nothing picked up.
Seems to help keep things alive.
amazing how much crap gets on a pc. My wife was moaning her laptop was slow and she had some browser hijack thing on there - she said after, "I always wondered why I couldn't search on Google anymore"!

Back