Whats happening here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Capture-4.jpg

OK, mega-huge HV lines come in from left. There are 4-wires on each "arm" of the pylon, 3 arms each side, so I'm guessing its the highest of high volts (400,000?)

At the first Pylon, the cables on the south side are carried off to the side, and lower down to the mini-pylon. This is very low. The northern cables carry on as normal to one side of the next main pylon, where they are split and run on to the next pylon as normal (3 each side).

The blue cables - after they go under the other span, they seem to disapear into the ground, presumably a substation.

What sort of area of housing could this feed? A small town? A village? This is next to a village in Pontefract called Upton. Theres lots of little overhead feeds round here, and several of these main line pylons. Where the blue line ends must be where these lines end (i cant see them any further north or east and i travel on high street every day, theres no overheads there). Is it possible to transform straight from 400kv to 400v or will there be underground 11kv feeds to areas of the village? It seems overkill - i was expecting maybe a 33kv feed to the whole village with a couple of 11kv branches.

Click here for an aerial of the whole village

This is merely to satisfy my own curiosity - I know theres a few ex-DNO (and current DNO) chaps on here. I have never seen this arrangement before.

Sponsored Links
might be an old military or civil defence-type installation that you can't see.

these can sometimes also be recognised by tracks and telephone poles that appear to go the middle of a field and then stop.

but it looks to me more like a disused industrial site such as a cement works

cycle over there and take pics of any fencing or gates that remain.

look for manhole covers in the road or pavement outside and see what they say on them.

what is the long grey building in Wagon Lane with a car park behind it?

Is this a quarrying area?

On Google Earth, is this area fuzzed out?

I just checked my place on the map, found it ,the picture is out of date, but it does show my garden very well

John you could have a couple of valid points. I can see no reason for Upton's being apart from an old industry - its in the sticks, Pontefract and Doncaster town centres are both about 10 miles away - its in between. The nearest former pit is the next village, South Elmsall. There was no pit in Upton. The area is very flat and quite featureless.

However the building you refer to on Waggon lane is a scout hall or similar youth centre.

(I work in Upton and its a bit far to cycle :LOL: however I may drive down and snap some photos one day if i've time)

Sponsored Links
The aerial map shows what looks like an abandoned industrial site so try thinking the other way round. Was there a power station down there some time in the past? That lake looks like a good source of cooling water.

I just checked my place on the map, found it ,the picture is out of date, but it does show my garden very well
Hadn't you discovered wikimapia before? I love it :LOL:

They are updating the photos slowly - they recently did Southport, so the pier is now shown (it was built 4 years ago!) And areas of the country where it was fuzzy are slowly getting clearer!

not seen that one before, tried google earth and it caused my pc to have problems

Can you climb the pole with your voltstick and see if they are still live :LOL:

We have a pair 250,000 pylons going to no where - An old coal fire station demolished in the 60's. Still there, still live.

Local.live is very out of date in the Bedford area. The Clapham bypass isn't even started on local.live while on google earth it is in construction and I have been driving on it for at least 2 years.

Thanks, but that map is even older, it shows my place with grass in the garden (got rid of that about 5 years ago)

I can see my van parked outside of my house in wikimapia!

If only they had taken a snap of the numpties that nicked my beemer.......

:oops:

I got it wrong . . .

That set of cables in fact goes under and then re-joins the pylon on the other side. So it merely swaps sides. :confused: Why would this be nessecary?

Out of interest I saw a bloke on one of these pylons today. Unsure what he was doing, and nearly caused an RTA looking at him :LOL:

iirc every so often along a run they rearrange the wires on the pylones so that the characteristics of the line are roughly symetrical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back