What's my options with these brutalised stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the carpet from the stairs in our new/old house and, as suspected, the bottom three stairs aren't in great shape at all. There was a chair lift in here at one time, and the installers have just ripped through the treads to get a straight edge. How challenging would these be to replace?

IMG_20230331_185513.jpg

Sponsored Links
If carpeting it, i wouldnt bother removing. Just do as above

Sponsored Links
If carpeting it, i wouldnt bother removing. Just do as above
Thing is, my wife is looking for a carpet runner up the center of the stairs as the rest of the place will be hardwoood flooring.

so is it just the treads that have been sawn? Not the riser that has been altered?
It looks to me that the stairs were a weird shape before the stairlift people got there?

so is it just the treads that have been sawn? Not the riser that has been altered?
It looks to me that the stairs were a weird shape before the stairlift people got there?
You're correct. The stairs looked to 'fan out'(?) and get gradually wider near the bottom. I can see from the paint that the risers have also been cut and pushed back to support the treads. Cant see underneath as it's still plastered in there.

i would be tempted to use say 6mm ply well fixed on the riser tread top to the tread top to add strength to help avoid creaking
you could rebate the back off the new nosing to stop the ply top showing
but definitely well fixed to riser and tread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back