Whats needed to shift this grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The damned thing was over 2 metres tall and just to much for me at my age I have shifted all the top growth and wondered what is best for Levelling of to near ground level I can shift the round top coping and pebbles to get more access but the rest no chance thanks

Sponsored Links
IMG_20211003_124448.jpg

Looks like a Yacca ?? did it have flowers on a stem ?

No other way than to dig it out competently.

I would dig out coping edge then go to work on the roots, level after you competed the dig.

It's going to hard work.

Rather you than me.

Yes it did long stalks with seed heads I cant going digging out im to old for it It killed me getting this far thanks

Sponsored Links
yuccas have hard waxy leaves which repel sprays.

buy a bottle of Gyphosate concentrate (the stuff you dilute with water) and a half-inch paintbrush.

Saw off the "trunk" about a foot above the ground (this saves you having to lie down and you can work from a kneeling position). It looks to me like you have several stems but it will become clearer when you saw it off. it is possible to pull leaves off individually, wearing strong gloves.

Immediately, dab the glyphosate onto the cut surface of the stump while the sap is still running. If the sap washes it away, dab on some more. Check again in half an hour.

the weedkiller will be absorbed into the living fibres and drawn down to the roots, which it will kill. It is inactivated by contact with the soil so it will not poison the ground (and there is no point pouring it onto the ground).

if rain is expected, put a plastic bag or something over the stump to prevent it washing away the glyphosate.

If you get any suckers or shoots, do the same with them. it will take a few weeks for them to die and go brown. If you see any green leaves it is not dead, so cut at the node and apply again.

I did this with a bay tree a couple of years ago. The stump is dead, I got a dozen or so suckers coming up which I cut and treated. I also did a 20-foot yucca with several stems which was easier. Most plants are not so prolific with suckers.

once the cut stump has dried and calloused, it will not absorb the weedkiller.

if it is a yucca or similar, the stem is not woody and will rot away. When you are sure it is dead you can mound it with compost to accelerate the rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back