Whats size can it be??? 15mm copper pipe, but not 15mm!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys.
Im redoing my bathroom at present and have although Ive done quite a bit of plumbing on my past houses (bathroom), this one has never had any work done really. (1920s house)

So I removed the basin and bath (water supply off of course) and went to cap off the pipework to enable de tiling to be done without sutff in the way.

One of the supply pipes is 22mm (hot)! but this has a reducer taking it to 15m after about 1 metre ish.

I capped it with a compression fitting.

The next pipe, was a 15mm, or so I thought :oops:
It 'just' squeezed into my Rothenberger 15mm pipe cutter, but once I tried to cap it, the olive would NOT fit on and the pipe diameter was clearly 'slightly larger' than 15mm.

I would estimate maybe 16mm or 17mm even.

So Ive had to improvise capping it off for now. but my question is, can anyone tell me what this old pipe size might be?

Im guessing its imperial but dont know what size to go for!! ?/

please advise me chaps :)
thanks

Sponsored Links
Does it have a really thick wall on the pipe. There is a copper from those days that was actually threaded and needs a special fitting that very few people have . If you have an off cut of it you may have to do a tour to find something .
I think i used a 12 mm to 15mm endex reducer to get something onto it (12mm going inside the weird size pipe)

Sponsored Links
Swidders .Trouble is normal 15 will not go over it and if you wack a socket former up an existing pipe what damage are you going to do further along, pretty sure the socket former would not fit anyway.

If its the stuff i seeen it is unbelievably thick as i said it was joined by cutting and threading

It won't be the threaded pipe as it will be nearer 20mm.

What you probably have is 1/2" soft copper or the pipe has been frost damaged.

The solution is to buy a "Conex" 323 capend and smack it over the pipe with the nut and olive off. you can then take the fitting off and put the nut and olive on the pipe and do it up with your Bacho adjustable spanner. :LOL:

Swidders .Trouble is normal 15 will not go over it and if you wack a socket former up an existing pipe what damage are you going to do further along, pretty sure the socket former would not fit anyway.

If its the stuff i seeen it is unbelievably thick as i said it was joined by cutting and threading

Okey dokey. Was thinking along the lines that the nut opening could be filed wide enough to slip over the pipe, and flare (screw down type) could open the pipe enough. But I bow to your experience on these matters (am being genuine and not sarcastic!). Bit of a tool expensive method for the diy-er anyway.

DIA the stuff i seen was from the 20`s and even doing what your suggesting would not work you just cant get anything on it even after filling it down .
Someone mention what its called in the past week, its was as heaviy than 1/2 inch iron
Would have loved more for the scrap account :LOL:

only ever seen it once fitting looked like 3/8th but where not

Maybe so namsag, not see any, I still wouldn't think thats what the op has though.

Only the very poshest of house were even likely to have plumbing in the 20s, and even then 99% would have been lead.

Does it have a really thick wall on the pipe. There is a copper from those days that was actually threaded and needs a special fitting that very few people have . If you have an off cut of it you may have to do a tour to find something .
I think i used a 12 mm to 15mm endex reducer to get something onto it (12mm going inside the weird size pipe)

Thanks for the input everyone ;)

namsag, your spot on mate!!! you pretty much described the nightmare I have been having!!

At first I thought it might have been a poor cut and the pipe was slightly ovalised...
but it wasnt!

The pipe wall is very thick, and thanks a lot for the 12 mm suggestion!!! I will take an offcut I have to a few merchants but I like the idea of soldering a 12mm inside and getting it back to a proper '15mm'!

Maybe so namsag, not see any, I still wouldn't think thats what the op has though.

Only the very poshest of house were even likely to have plumbing in the 20s, and even then 99% would have been lead.

doitall

Im 99% sure it is what namsag has said...

I dont think its original '20s pipework but its old nonetheless!

No amount of filing or forcing would fit the olive on, the olive just twisted or distorted!!

Also, the actual nut would not fit over the pipe!!! so it would have meant filing the centre of the nut out to even try and get it on...which isnt really an option!

This is the stopends Im using

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31319/Plumbing/Compression-Fittings/Comap-Stop-End-15mm-Pack-of-10

One other thing I thought of is even if I filed the pipe down enough to try and get the olive etc on.... it would have to be with a dremel or similar to remove that amount and that would mean the olive wouldnt seal afterwards... even if I did it for hours with sandpaper it would never be truly round again!

I will take a few pictures tomorrow but if anyone else has had this pipe before please 'pipe up' and tell me what you used to join into it :D

and Namsag, your right. It is VERY heavy!!!! great for a weigh in at the scrappie!!

U havent posted owt that ive seen wrong. Im Corgi roughly a year & Corgi from company a year before that.....& like i say, i havent seen any incorrect postings yet from u.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back