Whats size can it be??? 15mm copper pipe, but not 15mm!!

IF its the old thick wall half inch then your pipe slice puts a flare on it, file it off the end of the pipe and the 15 mm fitting will go on, if it was cut with a 15 mm pipe slice then it may be 1/4 or even 1/8th inch bore very heave duty coper threaded bsp, usualy only found in old churches and old schools

Sponsored Links
And I'm 99% certain he isn't, :LOL: no offense namsag.

If you follow my instruction after you have purchased an "Conex" 323 stopend, and not a cheap thing from sf :rolleyes:

File a small bevel on the end of the pipe, you can heat it if you wish but it make it harder to hold, then smack the stopend on the pipe without the nut and olive, and it will shrink the pipe :eek: take the stopend off and the nut and olive will fit.

Theres' a lot of this imperial pipe in the Bexhill area. The bore is 1/2" but the walls are thick but it's not 20mm outside diameter. Locally we've found two ways of dealing with it. The most common way is to file it down until a compression coupling fits it. My favourite way is to anneal the pipe and use my Rothenberger pipe expander to form a socket. The hammer in socket former will work but you've got to be dead careful that you don't disturb things elsewhere.

Hello,

Just in case anyone requires a different solution to the 'not quite 15mm and has a thick wall' problem, I have had to deal with this at the weekend on a friends 1920's house. Ended up using a compression fitting. Took off one of the nuts/olive, honed out the bore of the brass body with a 15mm drill until it just fit over the pipe, and wait for it... end feed soldered it on! This made a cracking solid joint and allowed normal modern 15mm pipe to be compressed using the other olive joints (used a T-piece).

Engineering solution.

Sponsored Links
What you need is a 16mm MI or FI.

Been there done it and got the tee shirt.

Another option is get up early, make a big bowl of porridge, get everybody out of the house and start filing. You will be swearing a lot and porridge will give you strength. You will also need a good file.

Had this problem a couple of times. You could heat up a end feed coupling and swadge it open with a swading tool. of invest in a dremmel and file it down evenly. I've done both and both worked.

Make sure oviously that the pipe is nice and clean.

Bod

Could it be 20-thread pipe?
Adaptors to 15mm available in end-feed and compression.

this should save you a bit if work

http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/details/?type=2&sub=33[/QUOTE]

The only snag with them is that they're so bulky and you often just don't have the space to get them in.

I've also come across this (16mm?) copper on a few occasions (it would be interesting to find out who manufactured it) On the few occasions I used a 15mm drift (socket forming tool) to open up the 16mm anf form a socket that my 15mm Cu tube would fit into.
Takes a lot of cleaning on the inside of the 16mm though and don't forget that drift sockets were banned by most local water authorities a long time ago.
Then again you are the plumber and you have to something to get the water on!!!!
Servotech,

I had to wait until i got into work to check this out.

Although no longer listed in their catalogue, we have in stock a couple of hundred 16 x 15mm Conex S301 couplers which we sell regularly to Severn Trent Water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back