What's the best product for hairline cracks in new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just had a plasterer skim my entire living room, and there are a few external box sections where the plaster has cracked slightly which I was kind of expecting becuase they are more comlex than your average flat wall.

He used external beading on all edges, and becuase they're external boxes, all 3 beads meet at a point, and this is where the cracks have formed. I've done a mist coat and would like to know the best method/product for filling them. I seem to remember reading on here that you shouldn't use ready mixed polyfilla, but mix it yourself..?

I've searched on here and seen that some people recommend caulk, but I dont like the idea of this if it'll start to shrink. What filler what a pro use?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Don't use caulk, it will look awful; powder filler is OK but decent, pre-mixed fine fillers also work well & need minimal sanding.

thanks Richard, could you recommend one specifically?

Gyproc Easyfill is good but the minimum quantity you’ll have to buy won’t be much use for you. I've used Polyfilla both pre-mix fine & powder filler & also Mangers ultra fine filler. To be honest, I find they all do the job & I only use it in very limited amounts; my plastering work never needs much if any remedial filler. ;)

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks Richard. I think i'll just get some easyfill if thats the best gear for the job. Would this be fine to also use on blemishes here and there before painting?

Yes; it's intended for use when filling & taping taper edge board joints on dry lining but is an excellent, easy sand filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back