whats the best type of bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

can anyone help. I need to repair some brick that have cracked after getting wet then expanding with the frost. if anyone can tell me what are the best bricks to to retain water.

the waterproofing solution for brick would that prevent this from happening again.

Thanks

Eric

Sponsored Links
any bricks that RETAIN water are vulnerable to spalling and perishing. the most weather tolerant bricks are those that absorb very little water such as engineering bricks.

bricks that have hairline cracks in them have probably been subject to settlement or subsidence.

or just been laid broken!

there are silica based water repellents available providing only short term weather sheilding.

where abouts on the property are the bricks located?

about 2 feet from ground level

I have just moved here and the guttering leaks just above where the damage is.

will take out all damaged bricks replace with engineering brick lay so dpm at lowest level.

all after repairing guttering is this the correct way or is there any advice you can give me.

Am i correct that you think in the long term the waterproof solution is a waste of time and money?

thanks

Eric

ericb500 said:
Am i correct that you think in the long term the waterproof solution is a waste of time and money?
Yes because the house needs to breathe, a bit like a plastic bag over your house then condensation problem etc

Sponsored Links
Have you considered carefully taking out the affected bricks , and turning them round so that the bad face is on the inside of the cavity.
Obviously this will only work if the damage is spalling, ie, confined to the face of the bricks, its no good if they are cracked all the way through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back