What's the best way to extend joists? Removal of load bearer...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll try keep it short and sweet but if anyone needs more info, I'm happy to give it.

Basically I'm going to be removing a section of load bearing wall and I'm wondering what would be the best way to support / extend the joists to the next load bearer (which is only around 14 inches away)

Please see my sketches...

Orange - existing joists
Green - main load bearing wall
Purple - load bearing chimney breast
Yellow - new supporting / sistering timbers

First sketch shows my current layout.

I've worked out that the section of chimney breast I want to remove will only require 2 joists needing supported - numbers 8 and 9. In other words if I knock down the chimney breast that I want then joists 8 and 9 will be left unsupported.

My second sketch shows what was suggested to me by 2 different engineers (but did not supply drawings / sizes etc as this would of cost a fair bit)
Basically it's using two additional timbers (same size as the existing) on each joist to extend it to reach the next load bearer. I think this is called sistering.

I understand it might be a bit silly to ask on here when two engineers have informally told me what to do, but I've also had another so called engineer and a couple of joiners tell me it wasn't even load bearing...

My questions are:

1. Does this seem reasonable?
2. If so, what would be the recommended overlap when sistering? I was told by the engineers it would need to be pretty long.
3. What would be the best way to actually join these together? I was originally thinking lots of coach bolts with those sharp dog tooth washers.

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_185036591.jpg
    PXL_20220723_185036591.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20220723_185100716.jpg
    PXL_20220723_185100716.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
With your idea, the new timber sections only need 100mm bearing on the existing wall. 600mm overlap of the joists being extended.

Other options
Scarf joint
Splice plates
600mm ply gussets, glued and screwed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back