whats the best way to raise a patio 6 inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what are the best materials and tools to use use to raise a rear garden patio 6 inches to hopefully help drainage problems?

Sponsored Links
no dont use any of them, i suspect he was getting at the fact that a little more info in the original question may have helped. What sort of drainage problems have you got?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Forgive my earlier sarcasm. The problem i have is as follows, as best as i can describe it anyway!
Right behind the house from the wall out to roughly 2 metres is a patio (standard large flags) but it sits 8 inches under the waterline of the house.
underneath the patio is solid clay, going much too deep for a soakaway, and too close to the house. Beyond the patio sloping up away from the house is a lawn about 30 feet by 15, with the same clay problem:

when it rains the patio soon floods completely, and the lawn becomes a marsh. I've 4 kids its summer and we can rarely get out in the garden. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would it be an idea to simply take up the flags, put down some gravel/sand to a depth of 8 inches and replace them.

A local gardener has advised to dig up a foot of garden topsoil, replace it with new and returf it, but i'm not convinced, especially for the price he quoted. Hope this description helps.

the problem you have is the clay. When you get heavy rain it is flowing off the patio and down the lawn to the patio and it has nowhere to go quickly becasue of the clay. The lawn will already be sitting on some topsoil, otherwise it wouldnt be growing. If you simply raise the level of the patio it will still make no difference.

Presumably you have some sort of drainage to the rear ie a yard gully or rainwater downpipe? If you do then a run of drainage channels across the patio where it meets the grass, draining into the drainage system. With regards to the lawn, to sort the problem you really need to consdider a whole new drainage system to really cure it, but thats a lot of money. If you are going to get the turf relaid, then get the guy to deep rotaovate the area and add in lots of ground conditioner. that will help to open up the clay and it may improve the drainage.

many many thanks,

I'll look into this as soon as, and let you know how it's doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back