What's the best way to trim the bottom of doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading about and I can't find any definate answers on this. Circular saws have been mentioned but read they were harsh and likely to cause splinters. Planers were ok but only if it need to trim few mm off but you could go wrong with getting it level. Hand saws, slow hard graft? Jigsaws were prone not to getting a 90' cut. Door trimmers, expensive?

Anyone with any personal experience on this? I'm leaning towards the door trimmer because I won't need to remove doors and it seems like the quickest option. Anyone ever used on of these? What sort of results did you get? Any splintering?

Sponsored Links
is this a hypothetical question, or have you got a door in mind?

How much do you want to trim off?

How many doors?

Do you want to make a career out of fitting doors?

5-7mm, planer only.

anything 8-10mm +, circular saw plus planer, finished with sanding, either mechanical or hand sanded. cut a little less off than you need to, then finish off with the planer and sander.

always plane in from each end, never let the planer run past the door edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back