Whats the best way?

I would think spurring from the ring at the consumer unit in 2.5 mm would be the simplest solution; you won't have the problem of adding a new circuit, it will save you messing about extending the ring, and if you ever want to add more sockets to the spur you can easily adapt the wiring in the cu so it's on it's own circuit.

So to do this I would simply connecto the cable to the MCB and spur off it that way rarther than taking it from one leg and returning it so it all stays in the ring? there will only ever be the one more socket there

Sponsored Links
I would think spurring from the ring at the consumer unit in 2.5 mm would be the simplest solution; you won't have the problem of adding a new circuit, it will save you messing about extending the ring, and if you ever want to add more sockets to the spur you can easily adapt the wiring in the cu so it's on it's own circuit.

So to do this I would simply connecto the cable to the MCB and spur off it that way rarther than taking it from one leg and returning it so it all stays in the ring? there will only ever be the one more socket there

Assuming it is a ring, and you currently have two wires at the mcb (and neutral and earth block), you can spur from this with a new cable going to the new socket. So you will now have three cables at the cu, and one cable at the new socket.

Assuming it is a ring, and you currently have two wires at the mcb (and neutral and earth block), you can spur from this with a new cable going to the new socket. So you will now have three cables at the cu, and one cable at the new socket.

The reason im asking is my previous boss ALWAYS made me keep it in a ring where ever possible and it is here. Would i spur off it with 2.5 or 4mm?

It is good practice to extend the ring as you describe, and you can certainly do this if it is practical to do so.

You can provide a spur from a ring in 2.5, but it musn't serve more than one socket. This can be a single, double or even a triple (a triple must have an integrated 13 amp fuse).

Sponsored Links
It is good practice to extend the ring as you describe, and you can certainly do this if it is practical to do so.

You can provide a spur from a ring in 2.5, but it musn't serve more than one socket. This can be a single, double or even a triple (a triple must have an integrated 13 amp fuse).

Thanks for your help, I will take a look at this at the weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back