Whats the best way?

S

steviez

Hi,

I am wanting to put a new socket in to a unit that is located next to my fuse box, would it be best to fit a new 16A MCB and run it on its own circuit or pull one leg of the ring from the sockets in the fuse box and keep it all on the same ring?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am wanting to put a new socket in to a unit that is located next to my fuse box, would it be best to fit a new 16A MCB and run it on its own circuit or pull one leg of the ring from the sockets in the fuse box and keep it all on the same ring?

Thanks

If you create a new circuit you will have to get your Local Authority Building Control involved.

If you are competent enough and know the risks involved there is nothing to stop you running a 4mm cable from the ring MCB (assuming its 32Amp) to the new socket and treating it as a spur.

It is unlikely that one leg of your current ring final circuit cable will reach your new socket.

Hi,

Thanks

If you create a new circuit you will have to get your Local Authority Building Control involved.

If you are competent enough and know the risks involved there is nothing to stop you running a 4mm cable from the ring MCB (assuming its 32Amp) to the new socket and treating it as a spur.

It is unlikely that one leg of your current ring final circuit cable will reach your new socket.

The new socket would be less than 1m away from the consumer unit so why would you need to run a 4mm cable for just one socket so close?

Hi,

Thanks
If you install a new circuit it will be deemed notifiable work and that costs money, as building controls will require a fee for both inspection and testing.
Is feasible that you can break in to a socket circuit, then either extend the circuit or create a spur from it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks
If you install a new circuit it will be deemed notifiable work and that costs money, as building controls will require a fee for both inspection and testing.
Is feasible that you can break in to a socket circuit, then either extend the circuit or create a spur from it.

I can tap in to the ring in the CU and take one leg from the ring to my new socket then one leg from the new socket back to the MCB, Can you use these (http://secure.wago.ltd.uk/shop/department/773_series/) or similar connectors in a CU to join on to a cable?[/url]

The new socket would be less than 1m away from the consumer unit so why would you need to run a 4mm cable for just one socket so close?
Because the current carrying capacity of the cable has to be more than the capacity of the 32Amp MCB. 2.5mm T&E has a current carrying capacity of 27Amps whereas 4mm has a comparable current carrying capacity of 37 Amps - if clipped direct.

This way in the event of a fault the MCB will trip before the cable catches fire. :eek:

What size cable do you use for a spur from a ring final circuit? ;)

Only been taught what i know from electricians I have laboured on over the years and not been qualified my self i would have used 2.5mm

Because the current carrying capacity of the cable has to be more than the capacity of the 32Amp MCB. 2.5mm T&E has a current carrying capacity of 27Amps whereas 4mm has a comparable current carrying capacity of 37 Amps - if clipped direct.

This way in the event of a fault the MCB will trip before the cable catches fire. :eek:

So if I was to go down the route of letting it have its own MCB then it would be 4mm to the socket on a 16a MCB if not tap in to the current ring and do it that way

2.5mm T&E

Then why is spurring from a ring circuit at the consumer unit any different?

If you decide to run a new circuit, you can use a 16 amp or 20 amp mcb with 2.5 mm.

Or a 32 amp mcb (new circuit again) with 4 mm.

Out of interest, what is this socket expected to have plugged into it?

2.5mm T&E

Then why is spurring from a ring circuit at the consumer unit any different?

If you decide to run a new circuit, you can use a 16 amp or 20 amp mcb with 2.5 mm.

Or a 32 amp mcb (new circuit again) with 4 mm.

Out of interest, what is this socket expected to have plugged into it?

Well I would be using a 16A MCB as there is a spare one in the box already so thats why I was thinking of 2.5mm cable and not understanding the 4mm. I would be plugging in a small computer server (300watt at most) so it would never be used to its max.

I would think spurring from the ring at the consumer unit in 2.5 mm would be the simplest solution; you won't have the problem of adding a new circuit, it will save you messing about extending the ring, and if you ever want to add more sockets to the spur you can easily adapt the wiring in the cu so it's on it's own circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back