Whats the biggest shower I can fit please?

Adam_151 said:
...(the 45% comes from where the aging equation for pvc breaks down...
Do you also happen to know where the 13% comes from?

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Adam_151 said:
...(the 45% comes from where the aging equation for pvc breaks down...
Do you also happen to know where the 13% comes from?

Unfortunatly I don't, I'd guess that its just that its reasonably low, without being unreasonably so, it might be tied into the standards that cables are made to and the standards governing how ratings are determined, we assume that a pvc cable loaded to 100% will run at 70 degrees C, although in reality though its usually a bit lower, it could be that the way ratings are determined leaves a bit of a margin and the 13% is chosen to take this into account, but thats all guess work.

Of course, the figure could have been picked out the air roughly tested and used, you never know....legend has it we allow 5s disconnection time on fixed equipment because someone who worked on the regs in the early days needed to put an arbitrary limit on disconnection time, just so it didn't drag on for ages (more for protection against fire than shock, the earth path holds down touch voltage, it just has to disconnect sometime before the cables melt!), anyway, and a quick calculation showed that stuff in his factory would meet 5s but not say 2.5s.

Of course, it could be all nonsense, made up by someone with nothing better to do, but people do tell me that most falsehoods do have at least a fragment of truth to them.

I'm guessing the 0.4sec disconnection is more recent, this afaik is more scientic in how it was chosen, linked to tolerances of the human body (it does pay however not to dwell too much on the possible sources for data in this area!)

Anyway, I seem to have digressed slightly

Thanks Adam, I hear what you're saying about arbitrary decisions.

However, I suspect that the 13% was scientifically derived, on the grounds that it appears in BS EN 69898-1:2003, as illustrated below.

electrics:fuses_and_miniature_circuit_breakers:mcbs0ky.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back