whats the difference between...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know what 3 way/diverter/mid-position valves are with the motorised heads on but I am wondering about the diverter valves that contain a diaphragm and what the obvious differences are as to their use? (apart from looks)
I have read about how they work and understand this but what, when, where and why etc
Do systems use both?
Are 3 way only used if you have a hot water tank?

Any advice would be great :)

thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
A Diaphragm operated Diverter valve is commonly found on older Combi boilers, opening a hot tap causes a pressure drop across the diaphragm which results in the diverter valve shunting to the hot water port

A 3 port Mid position valve is an entirely diffrent unit, it is designed to be electrically controlled, and supply heat to either heating radiators or a hot water cylinder , or both.

Sometimes you will find an electrically operated Diverter valve on newer design Combi's A Diverter valve can only heat hot water or Heating one at a time, a Mid position valve can do as mentioned AND Both simultainously if required ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back