Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Everest18

hello

1.what is volts

2.what is watts

3.what is amps

pls dont ask me to read ohms law because am lost :oops: can someone here just tell me in laymans terms?

ps can anyone who is about to post something negative dont bother am fed up of that! I come on here to learn off the pros.

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I never try to be negative but your not helping by this.

The guys here have given you links to various places that will help you understand as these links are done with educating in mind.

Why are you so against reading them, but willing to read what we have to say.

As I asked earlier if you find out what you want, what do you hope to achieve by it?

because i find it easy to learn off a man who does the job, instead of a scientist.

what i dont understand is why you all dont want to tell me? dont any of you know?

am 16 trying to learn a bit before i start college in september

Carnt understand how 40 people can view this post an not advise me! is this the standard of electricians?

Sponsored Links
In layman's terms - no, because it would be meaningless. Here it is in 1st year A level physics terms (though it might have been O level, actually):

The Volt is a measure of electrical potential. It is measured in Joules/Coulomb

The Coulomb is a measure of electrical charge and is equal to the charge carried by 6.25 x 10^18 electrons.

The Ampere is a measure electrical current, which is the rate of flow of charge. A current of 1 Ampere is 1 Coulomb of charge flow per second.

A charge of 1 Coulomb flowing through a potential difference of 1 Volt delivers 1 Joule of energy.

The Watt is the rate of energy delivery - 1W = 1joule/second.

Since Volts = Joules/Coulomb and Amperes = Coulombs/Second, then

Volts X Amps = Joules/Coulomb X Coulomb/Second, and by basic arithmetic we can see that the units of Volts X Amps = Joules/Second, which....TA DAAA ...happens to be the unit for rate of energy delivery, the Watt.

Hence V x A = W

All clear now?

In layman's terms - no, because it would be meaningless. Here it is in 1st year A level physics terms (though it might have been O level, actually):

The Volt is a measure of electrical potential. It is measured in Joules/Coulomb

The Coulomb is a measure of electrical charge and is equal to the charge carried by 6.25 x 10^18 electrons.

The Ampere is a measure electrical current, which is the rate of flow of charge. A current of 1 Ampere is 1 Coulomb of charge flow per second.

A charge of 1 Coulomb flowing through a potential difference of 1 Volt delivers 1 Joule of energy.

The Watt is the rate of energy delivery - 1W = 1joule/second.

Since Volts = Joules/Coulomb and Amperes = Coulombs/Second, then

Volts X Amps = Joules/Coulomb X Coulomb/Second, and by basic arithmetic we can see that the units of Volts X Amps = Joules/Second, which....TA DAAA ...happens to be the unit for rate of energy delivery, the Watt.

Hence V x A = W

All clear now?

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR NO! even more lost.

pls dont ask me to read ohms law because am lost
Not telling you to read about Ohm's law, although that will come into it AND YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND IT.

I'm telling you, for the 3rd ******* time to read that Wikipedia article, and the ones it links to, and it will all be described better and more comprehensively than anyone here could possibly find the time to do.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR NO! even more lost.

Sorry, I forgot something:

A current of one Ampere flowing for 1 second through a resistance of 1 Ohm incurs a potential drop of 1 Volt and delivers 1 Joule of energy. A constant current of 1 Ampere flowing through a resistance of 1 Ohm delivers 1 Watt of power.

OK? :evil:

BTW: The explanation I gave is pretty much what I'd expect you to get at college - though I admit my expectation of today's education system may be unrealistic.

images

I think it would be easier to climb everest, than explain anything to you.

I have had some great assistance from this forum and I browse a lot just to enjoy the banter but please ban this idiot before he turns people away from offering good advice to those that understand and appreciate it.

I once thought that there was no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers - I've changed my mind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back