What's the procedure for identifying whether wall is load bearing?

@^woody^

I don't know what a knib is or where it's located... This probably suggests that I am punching above my weight in terms of removing the wall myself

When you say 'bang the line down the wall, are you referring to the corner abutment between the kitchen wall and the wall i wish to demolish?

I have marked it in black

upload_2019-7-4_9-19-16.png

Sponsored Links
The bit you want to remove is the nib

Chop the plaster off at the corner on both sides and you will see the bricks or blocks that will be tied across into the main wall. These are the ones that you need to break with the chisel.

Then with the chisel right in the corner at as near as possible to 90° to the nib give it one or two sharp blows, and then work up or down the corner. Do the same on the other side.

The you can start to remove the bricks from the end of the nib. You can start this at the top, or start at the bottom, remove about 300mm height of wall and then work towards the corner. If any of the tied bricks are not full cracked, then you can hit the brick and it may come off, or use the chisel again, but remember the blade needs to be right in the corner.

You could bang a crowbar or long chisel into the bed joints and then lever the brick up (or down) and it will come off. This may work with the tie brick too instead of giving is extra hits with the chisel.

Can't see where anybody has confirmed the wall is not providing buttressing :!:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back