Strawboard partition walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I recently posted about whether some internal walls in my living room and kitchen maybe load bearing. I thought I’d pull off some plaster board at the place it meets the ceiling to see if I could see if the wall in question was supporting a joist. I have discovered that the internal walls are made from Strawboard. Would this give any further clues as to whether the walls may or may not be load bearing? Here are a few pics of the wall cut away.

Original thread: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/are-these-load-bearing-walls-or-partition.609803/#post-5464871
IMG_0138.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0137.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hello. I recently posted about whether some internal walls in my living room and kitchen maybe load bearing. I thought I’d pull off some plaster board at the place it meets the ceiling to see if I could see if the wall in question was supporting a joist. I have discovered that the internal walls are made from Strawboard. Would this give any further clues as to whether the walls may or may not be load bearing? Here are a few pics of the wall cut away.

Original thread: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/are-these-load-bearing-walls-or-partition.609803/#post-5464871
View attachment 302835View attachment 302836View attachment 302837
Stramit partition boards are not load bearing.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely. Can't speak for whatever they have been coated with (old Artex etc) since.
I’m thinking unlikely too. The house was built in the mid 80’s. The boards look to be compacted straw with cardboard lining. It appears that they have been skimmed with ordinary plaster. Pic of the lining here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back