Whats this... Bathroom upstairs in a flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello the tiles have started to crack so I thought I would pull them up to see what the sub floor is like as I could feel flex.

Well it looks like it was built like that from day 1 (12-15 years old)

I found chipboard tongue & grove, but there is a setup under this that I have never seen.

I can see the beams at all, what I see is this...

it is strips of plasterboard in like a square frame pattern, with square pieces of plaster board slotted between this. (the t&g is just sitting on this by the looks of things.

Under the plaster board frame and squares there is a very thin sort of membrane? like a very thin insulation, its black if that helps, dont know if its waterproof or what. Under this is some more green T&G and it seems very rigid, I take it this layer is fixed to the beams.

What do I do? I have purchased the 18mm correct ply (before I pulled the floor)

Do I screw it directly to the lower level floor? if I do this it will be missing the layer of plaster board so it will be a fair bit lower?

Do I need this membrane and stuff that was there? (downstairs have their bathroom below, I take it this is why its there.

Any other soulutions please as I want it to be strong and not damp.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back