Whats this called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats this textured effect on my ceiling called? I thought it was stippling. But I have heard people talking about a long haired frush for stippling walls etc.. So maybe it's not that...
DSC00049.JPG

Next question... How do I repair this hole.. Filling with a piece of plasterboard supported from behind is easy.. But how do I recreate the "texture", whatever it's called, to mask where this hole was???? Artex or some sort of thick paint? How do I draw these "points" out?

I don't have a clue!

Thank you in advance for any help!

Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
I think this is done with a roller.
I cant see you filling the whole & making an 'invisible' fix

Pice of acurately cut plasterboard to fill the hole....

Filter to fill the gap aroudn teh new plasterboard....

Orbital sander......

Then recreate that pattern.. Whatever it is... It's quite thick.... Even at the thinnest point (i.e. not the tip of then of them points), it's still 1-1.5mm thick....

Surely?
I was thinkign the texture might make it easier to patch and be virtually invisible.... The only problem ic an see is tryign to get the new "spiky bits" a similar size as the old ones! ;)

Rob

You can do it by putting a soft sponge inside a plastic bag, then dabbing it up and down against the fresh artex so it pulls down those little points.

If you repaint the whole celing in matt white and have a good lampshade that throws the light downwards, no-one will notice it.

An even better treatment would be to have the whole ceiling plastered smooth.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD,

Matt White was my plan and possibly a single flush mounted light...

In the long run, i.e. next tiem I decorate the front room, I'm goignt o consider getting it all plastered flat... But for now, I will make do with whatever I can to mask this awfull air grill.... (Well it was a grill...)

I'll give it a go this wekeend! Thanks!

Rob

If I need to repair this sort of damage to artexing (particularly when removing big light fittings where the heat has flaked the artexing away above it) I make up a loose mix of coving adhesive and lay it on using the wide flat side of a 2.5inch brush.
You can control the depth of the spikes by varying the thickness of the mix.
You can also build it up as required to hide the seam of the inserted repair panel.

Thanks for the great tip's!

I was planning on practicing with some artex on a spare piece of plasterboard first! ;) I thought the thickness of the artex coudl effect the "spike" height...

You think I should use the artex un-diluted? (They say you can add a little water to thin it a bit....)

I guess I'll have to use the suck-it-and-see approach!

Thanks again!

Rob

Think texture was made with a very thin artex mix..I normally skim over with multimix plaster (dont try to build up with artex) make sure plaster is dry then seal with artex sealer/PVA this is very important if not sealed you wont be able to work the artex. Thin down the artex to a milky mix.. this wont hurt. you'll need a 8"x6" stippler, load on the artex and immediately gently but firmly push the stippler onto the artex with a slight flick off wrist gently pull away almost without leaving the artex, work your way all over. The bare patch when dry will need mist coating with thinned emulsion... you may need to bring the patch forward by painting several times to blend with surrounding, as your ceiling looks like its had a few coats over the years. :LOL: before painting whole ceiling..

Practice on scrap board.. you'll soon get the ang of it. Good luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back