What's this glass in the top of my door called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace the glass/plastic at the top of the front door (see example photo) but having problems finding out where to buy some that's already cut as I don't know how to word it for searching.

Anyone know how I can word it so I can get best search results?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230705_153030.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_153030.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
The door style is often known as a Carolina so may help to mention if on the phone to a stockist /glaziers.

Yes it's a Carolina style door, each door manufacturer has slightly different dimensions though so you'll need to take accurate measurements or better still a template for a glass merchant to cut for you, if I remember rightly the top and bottom curved beads aren't actually a bead but are a permanent moulding so the glass has to be cut accurately to allow enough movement to shuffle it down then up

Sponsored Links
Spot on Crank... Will need to be a safety glass too being in a door, so 6mm ( due to the sizes ) , 4mm tough or a laminate. There is a point at 1500 from the floor it could be annealed but any glass merchant worth his salt will not do normal 4mm float glass for it. IF you do a template make sure it doesn't bend as you fit it... glass won't bend enough to take up any ' floppy ' template material. In an ideal world the glass merchant should be able to use door as the template. I've cut many a piece of 6mm for these types by putting the glass on the door

Always best if the glass merchant has the door in front of them especially if it's going to be patterned glass so they can get the pattern running the right way. In terms of safety glass if the glass is no wider than 250mm(each pane) and no larger than 0.4m in area then standard float glass can be used but has to be 6mm, however that said if the glass is above 1.5m from the floor then it doesn't need to be safety glass anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back