What's this on my mantelpiece?

That would have been a Green Bakelite Smiths electric clock - that melted- much like the one that I`ll soon be putting on a Well Known Internet Auction Site...Should you require a period replacement. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige but no replacement is required :)

The fireplace is coming along well. I've got all the gloss off and the green stuff seems to come off best if I cover it in Nitromors, wait for it to turn into paste and then attack it with wire wool. The wire wool picks it up well but soon gets clogged so I'm getting through plenty of it.

I'll post another photo soon when it gets more finished.

In hindsight I think it would've been better to remove the thing and get it done professionally. It'd probably cost less than what I've spent on Nitromors, wire wool, PVC gloves ect and the job would've been done by now.

Ah well...

Well, it took a while to get all the paint off this and even longer to post up the photo I took.

DSCF1616.jpg
[/img]

Still no idea what the horrible green stuff was but the Nitromors and wire wool got through it when mixed with liberal quantities of elbow grease.

There's an identical fireplace in the back bedroom which also needed stripped. I had this one removed and dipped... Much easier, probably cheaper considering the time taken, but not quite as much satisfaction.

Sponsored Links
and dipped...

Dipped in caustic soda maybe?
Did something similar and encountered same prob many yrs ago. Made up some solution of water and caustic soda and mixed it with wallpaper paste. It works well with older type varnishes Button polish etc. (Not good on modern polyurethene) very messy and making sure all traces of caustic is removed is a nitmare

A fine looking mantle btw hats off to your dilligence \o/

Rubber gloves, goggles and a lot of caution of course with caustic.

Not sure what it was dipped in tbh. Local bloke has a big tank filled with some potent fluid that dissolves paint, and probably most other things too.

I got three doors done at the same time. I forget how much but round the £100 mark. It sounds a lot but when you consider the time and effort required to do it by hand it's well worth it.

Diligence is all very well but there are limits. I'm learning where they are as I go :)

what were your doors like after dipping? Some people say it makes the joints loose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back