Whats this setup? 4mm from meter!?

Sponsored Links
Usually built into the meter these days, although many meters now just have a digital clock. It is not uncommon to find some business tariffs with three or four rates during a day, and these are just controlled via a timer in the meter.
Are you talking about 'smart meters', or one's which are 'locally programmable' (or both)?

Kind Regards, John

Not smart meters, just standard meters.

People seem to be confusing remote metering with smart meters these days - they see an aerial and assume its a smart meter. Remote metering has been around for many many years, allowing per day or even per hour metering. The meter has a sim card, and an inbuilt aerial, but often connected to an external aerial mounted adjacent to the meter, or placed up high outside.

Thought I would get a photo this morning of a meter with a built in teleswitch to show you.

Went to site for a different job, but new there was one was there to see.

It has been replaced with a new meter! They have upgraded to TPN, and a new TPN meter is in it's place, with in built timing, no teleswitch. The switched output has been terminated into a sealed henly block doing nothing.......when they come to use the few storage heaters they have this winter, they are going to have cold offices!

Not smart meters, just standard meters. ... People seem to be confusing remote metering with smart meters these days - they see an aerial and assume its a smart meter. Remote metering has been around for many many years, allowing per day or even per hour metering.
Indeed. I suppose that, depending on one's definitions, remote metering is just a subset of 'smart meter' - some being smarter than others! I suppose that most people only think of 'smart meters' in terms of 2-way communication etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not smart meters, just standard meters. ... People seem to be confusing remote metering with smart meters these days - they see an aerial and assume its a smart meter. Remote metering has been around for many many years, allowing per day or even per hour metering.
Indeed. I suppose that, depending on one's definitions, remote metering is just a subset of 'smart meter' - some being smarter than others! I suppose that most people only think of 'smart meters' in terms of 2-way communication etc.

Kind Regards, John

I'm yet to come across a meter that I'd consider smart. I tend to have that problem with people too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back