Whats this wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right got home past 2 days and socket fuse has blown, So decided to try and find the fault tonight.

Have been doing the house up and put new sockets in but that was months ago, so decided to look in the loft.

Here I believe I found the issue, the loft has a socket for a light to run off it. as you can see is a old plug so is going to get replaced tomorrow, but what is the wire coming from it, which has burnt??
From the socket I traced the wire to a junction box in the loft :confused:

Have removed the wire from the socket and used insulation tape on it but the remains in JB for now, the plug socket still works even though I have rmoved the wire. [GALLERY=media, 55797][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 55798][/GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Looks green to me and possibly a connection to earth or supplementary bonding to bathroom, which you may have disconnected!
Does this socket outlet have an earth/CPC conductor connected and from where did you remove this cable?
Is the bathroom below and does the cable head off in that direction?

yes it is a green wire, I removed it from the plug socket, it was wired in to the top pin of the socket (if that makes sense)

will earth wire burn?? sorry the guy who dose my work is away so am not clued up

Sponsored Links
yes sorry its a socket, been a long day, its going to get replaced, just never seen a wire like it before coming out from it

How will i know if its supplementary bonding??
Do you have any test equipment that can test for continuity, such as a multi meter.
The test will require low Ω contiuity reading between this cable and extraneous (exposed) metallic pipes within bathroom.

How will i know if its supplementary bonding??
Do you have any test equipment that can test for continuity, such as a multi meter.
The test will require low Ω contiuity reading between this cable and extraneous (exposed) metallic pipes within bathroom.

will have to check tomorrow, the JB it goes into is on other side of house from bathroom, so hoping it was just put in to earth the plug socket

the loft has a socket for a light to run off it. as you can see is a old plug...From the plug ... the plug ... the plug socket
Plug:

MK646.JPG

Socket:

MKK2757.JPG

the plug socket still works even though I have rmoved the wire.
it was wired in to the top pin of the socket (if that makes sense)
1) Of course the socket still works.

2) I would seriously hope that it was wired there, and not anywhere else.

Please do some learning before you do any more fiddling with electrical wiring.

Start by plugging something like into the socket.

Removing an earth can be dangerous you really do need to find what it feeds.

To overload an earth cable enough to blow a fuse and burn an earth cable is a really big fault. Time to stop playing and call in some one who knows what they are doing.

We read News paper reports like this all too often.

Most problems are not just one thing wrong but a collection. In that case an oil filled heater was one problem with house wiring a second problem.

Please don't let us read about you or yours in that way.

If the cu has been updated and the lighting circuit for the bathroom runs via an rcd or rcbo the supplementary bonding should no longer be required.

If the cu has been updated and the lighting circuit for the bathroom runs via an rcd or rcbo the supplementary bonding should no longer be required.
I think the requirements stipulate all circuits of the location, not just lighting,
that automatic disconnection times are complied to and all extraneous parts of location are connected to the equipotential bonding.
So the simple addition of RCD protection to lighting circuit, would not automatically allow for supplementary bonding to be omitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back