Aerial booster worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help me.

A recent storm seemed to do my loft based aerial booster no favours.

I've bought a new one but have no socket in the loft to plug it into.

The old setup was in place when I moved into the house and it is wired directly into a fused switch box, the fuse is a 3Amp one. Photo link here:
http://static.flickr.com/91/259618101_60c0b11fdd.jpg

The new booster has an AC adaptor and needs a socket:
http://static.flickr.com/109/259618134_433f3d6e64.jpg

I was considering adding a socket where the fused switch box is now BUT when I traced the cable feeding the fused box it runs straight to the lights in the loft.

Is this right? I thought the lights and plug sockets shouldn't be mixed on the same circuit.

Sponsored Links
in your situation i'd put a single socket there and clearly label it as being on the lighting circuit.

a TV booster will be fine on the lighting circuit, but if someone plugs in a larger appliance there is a good chance they will trip out the light. Putting 13A sockets on the lighting circuit is frowned upon but i don't think there is actually any reg prohibiting it.

Depending upon competency what is to prevent the OP cutting the plug off, remove the wiring from the existing FCU and connecting into there? Saves installing another socket, the unit would still be fused and would prevent somebody plugging something they shoudn`t into a socket fed from the lighting circuit.

If I did install a socket it would be a labelled 5A socket to differntiate between that and normal sockets.

Would that be any good or have we got to the point where we cannot undertake such work in case of transgressing some rule?

THRIPSTER said:
Depending upon competency what is to prevent the OP cutting the plug off, remove the wiring from the existing FCU and connecting into there?

If you looked at the photo of the new tx you would see that it is mounted in the body of the plug, so can't be wired directly into the FCU.

Sponsored Links
THRIPSTER said:
Depending upon competency what is to prevent the OP cutting the plug off, remove the wiring from the existing FCU and connecting into there? Saves installing another socket, the unit would still be fused and would prevent somebody plugging something they shoudn`t into a socket fed from the lighting circuit.

If I did install a socket it would be a labelled 5A socket to differntiate between that and normal sockets.

Would that be any good or have we got to the point where we cannot undertake such work in case of transgressing some rule?
READ THE OP before you make a reply! :evil:

FWIW, I would keep the fused spur, fit a 1362 1A fuse, and wire a socket off that, thus limiting the draw on the lights to 1A...

could do i guess, only real difference it would make is they'd probablly blow the fuse rather than tripping the lights if they plugged a bigger appliance in.

Quite right Crafty. Sorry Lurch. Wire the socket to the existing FCU.

Do you like Eccles cakes?

Thanks for all the advice, I've wired the new socket from the FCU. Been using the new aerial booster for about a week now and it all seems fine.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back