whats this

28 Mar 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
can someone tell me what this does?

whoever built the house in 1989 thought it would be ok to drill through this soil pipe and run a cable for the outside light!!

as I have the floor up I might as well put it right but I am not sure what it is

thanks Brett
Sponsored Links
You need building regs approval to make any changes to it but you could box it in at the current level as long as it's not an air tight box.
Sponsored Links
all I want to do is replace it like for like so I can remove the electric cable that has been run straight through it.

so I assume if its a like for like replacement I wont need building regs?

An electric cable running through it :eek:
Thats a new one :p Just hoy a new one on, but as said they can't be put in an airtight box or they aint gonna work.
John :)
the cable thing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

I am installing a enclosed toilet cistern/frame next to this so was going to box the whole end wall in, it wont be air tight as whoever drilled the hole from outside through this pipe also had 3 other goes at running this cable and left the holes in the wall
Hi Richard

I am not sure what you mean, how high should it be?

the pipe the valve is in is 1M high from the horizontal soil pipe it fits into

so I have done a bit of reading on these, is it right it has to be higher than the highest trap?

if so that's not a problem as I have more than enough room to extend it

It has to be higher than the "spill over" level of the highest appliance on the stack, not the highest trap. Likely to be the top edge of the wash basin in a bathroom.
300mm above the highest overspill height of any appliance connected to it
is 300mm a good practice thing or an actual height because this will make it sit in front of the bathroom window higher than the window sill!
actual height - building regs.

This is to ensure that if the stack blocks then waste doesn't leak through it.

Commonly abused reg. - see at least one a week fitted below regulation height
ok thanks for that, I'll have a proper measure when I get home, I will definitely have it higher than spill level which has to be better than the 300-400mm below that level at the moment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links