Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I know this is for the old heating system I've now got a combi boiler but what is it called amd what was or is its function?

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_171220.jpg
    IMG_20220623_171220.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
ABV - Auto Bypass Valve. When all the CH system valves close, it allows for min flow through the boiler on pump overrun.

Reactions: CBW
Do I still need these are they dead legs with a combi boiler... Is that a drain for the radiators then? Min flow through boiler? What so they don't freeze pump overrun?

ABV - Auto Bypass Valve. When all the CH system valves close, it allows for min flow through the boiler on pump overrun.
Cherrs for your reply...

Do I still need these then.. Or are they dead legs with a combi boiler... Is that a drain for the radiators then? Min flow through boiler? What so they don't freeze pump overrun? Somany words I don't know lol

Sponsored Links
Aren't these meant to be by the boiler do I need one off these with a combi so... It maintains the flow to the radiators but it's part of the old pipe work..? SO would this drain them?

No it's not for draining radiators.
No ,it doesn't need to be near the boiler.
It's unlikely that you still need it ,but you may as well leave it in place .

Cheers thanks this site has to to be the most responsive decent diy forum can't thank you guys enough.

How would I drain a system/radiators with no attached drain valve I don't seem to have one on any of them fyi I'm in a flat....?

If you're in a flat without a drain off then usually it would be drain each individual rad and then find the lowet point on the pipework and drain the rest at that point.

If they used best practice when it was installed then there would normally be a drain tee'd into the system pipework usually at the lowest point of the pipework under the floor at the boiler, with a pipe punched through the wall. Not a lot of installers seem to do that these days though.

If you're in a flat without a drain off then usually it would be drain each individual rad and then find the lowet point on the pipework and drain the rest at that point.

If they used best practice when it was installed then there would normally be a drain tee'd into the system pipework usually at the lowest point of the pipework under the floor at the boiler, with a pipe punched through the wall. Not a lot of installers seem to do that these days though.

Okay I'll have a look but I don't think I do have one installed by the boiler I would have noticed a little spout thing thanks for the great help.

Can I ask? Is this pipework still needed I assume it was only needed for the old system being in the cupboard where the old warm cylinder was... I'm all combi boiler now... I thought regulations wouldn't allow me to habe pipe work bigger than 3cm aka dead legs....?

Last edited:
All depends on whether your boiler needs an external bypass or not. Not all of them have an internal one, TBH though it's always good practice to have one installed even on a combi.

Dead legs are important in relation to hot and cold running water to your taps and is primarily focused on legionnaires. Dead legs on CH isn't as critical though not ideal and redundant pipework should be removed. If you have TRV's on all your rads though then that won't necessarily be a dead leg, if its setup properly, as it will open when all the rad valves close.

If you look outside, there should be a small pipe running out the wall that may be turned back to the wall which is for you PRV. If that's coming out at below floor level then they may have hooked into that. Otherwise you probably won't have one and would have to drain rads individually. Is the system dirty and needs flushed?

I got the drain pipe outside does that definitely mean it's attached...? The auto valve seems to have been left in from the old system or would they have connected it to the combi.... The dead leg/s yeah were left in when they switched from tank to mains/combi still got some now.. And no proper test weren't done as no checks to the inside of people's pipe work.

Oh yeah I think they all have trv thermostatic values aka can adjust them /amount of water passing though I guess thats how it works with regulating the temperature?

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_084142.jpg
    IMG_20220624_084142.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220624_083027.jpg
    IMG_20220624_083027.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 48
I got the drain pipe outside does that definitely mean it's attached
Not at window ledge height nope, that's just be for the release valve.
The auto valve seems to have been left in from the old system or would they have connected it to the combi
Does the pipework and the valve get hot when the CH system is on? Chances are it's still connected to the main CH pipework
Oh yeah I think they all have trv thermostatic values aka can adjust them /amount of water passing though I guess thats how it works with regulating the temperature?
The TRV's react and closes the valve off once the air temp reaches the setting on the valve head, they're basic on and off switches,

Not at window ledge height nope, that's just be for the release valve.

Does the pipework and the valve get hot when the CH system is on? Chances are it's still connected to the main CH pipework

The TRV's react and closes the valve off once the air temp reaches the setting on the valve head, they're basic on and off switches,

Oh thats the only u bend pipe I have I'm in a block and that right where the boiler sits on the other side its near the ledge but not as close as the picture looks...

I don't know as I haven't had ch on at the mo um.... How would I test it does it need to open or closed.... How do I tell.

I have asked for these pipes to be looked at but they have refused aka dead legs and even their plumber didn't know what the auto shut of valve was or called no one could tell me untill you.

It turns but i don't know what that does it has a number 5 on it which doesn't change it has an ingraving saying un screw screw to adjust....

Isn't it just the old temperature control for the old hot cylinder?

Had heating on for 10/15 minutes stone cold to the touch they seem like dead legs to me and the capped works is well above the water regulations of 3cm if they were still in use aka watwe flowing through them they'd warm up... Guess thats why you asked me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_065718.jpg
    IMG_20220627_065718.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220627_065711.jpg
    IMG_20220627_065711.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220627_070244.jpg
    IMG_20220627_070244.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220627_070240.jpg
    IMG_20220627_070240.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thoughts... Please.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_071148.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071148.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220627_071132.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071132.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220627_071107.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071107.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220627_071100.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071100.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220627_071054.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071054.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220627_071050.jpg
    IMG_20220627_071050.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 40
Isn't it just the old temperature control for the old hot cylinder?
Honestly ... It's an ABV. It needs to be set properly to work correctly, you need someone that knows CH systems to check it. What combi boiler do you have - Make and Model.

When you say they have refused to look at the dead legs who are they? The DRD's ... peacekeepers ..... scarrans?? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back