What's up with my grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in spring I completely stripped my garden (full of weeds, stones, glass and generally not very flat!), spread about 8 tons of topsoil and reseeded it. Half the garden now has a lovely thick lawn, but the other half is patchy, yellowing and full of weeds. The two parts of the garden were covered with topsoil from 2 different batches, which would suggest that it's the soil that's causing the problem rather than drainage or something. Any idea what the problem could be and what I could do about it? Would it be a good idea to send a soil sample to be tested?

Sorry I don't have any pictures atm (it's dark outside!), I'll try and get some tomorrow. Thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
No pets, it would have to be incontinent to cover the whole garden anyway! (the bad bit is about 100m2)

mm short off digging out the topsoil from say a 2ft square patch from each half around 10 inches deep and transposing them to see how they grow you wont narrow down the problem

Sponsored Links
Was it reclaimed topsoil?

This is a typical problem of reclaimed soil.

Easiest way round it to treat the whole area with a general fertiliser.

Reseed if necessary and deal with the weeds in the spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back