What's wrong with my socket?

Sponsored Links
Mrs Echoes ~~~ thought the L & E labels on the socket were confusing.
I have to say I agree with her. Poor design, assumes the user can see the earth strap.

He wasn't from the former East Germany, was he?

Using red for earth was common in many parts of Germany upto the late 1940's so he could have come from East or West Germany. Discovered that when I was about 8. A neighbour bought a washing machine with him when he left military service in occupied Germany and the fitted cable had red for the earth wire. I think I was the only person in the road with a test meter. First and lasting lesson to never assume anything in critical situations

Using red for earth was common in many parts of Germany upto the late 1940's so he could have come from East or West Germany.
I think it persisted in the East for a lot longer, as their infrastructure didn't get refreshed at the same rate as in the West, so it's more likely now, 70 years on, that if someone has encountered it it would have been in the former GDR.

That was my reasoning, anyway..

I just cannot believe how thick some people are. I must admit it did take me about 10 seconds to spot it. No sleeving on the earth either.

The worrying thing is its these idiots that do the more advanced jobs.

Sponsored Links
I am impressed with myself, I got it on the first pic (wires incorrect) as for earth sleeving, when I started renovating my house, there wasnt any at all and the previous occupier was a electrician!!

On a lighter note - Well at least it proved that the earth was connected up and was of a sufficiently small value, to allow the circuit fuse to blow! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am impressed with myself, I got it on the first pic (wires incorrect) as for earth sleeving, when I started renovating my house, there wasnt any at all and the previous occupier was a electrician!!

I remember a book at school which said it was a good thing not to sleeve the earth and to give it maximum opportunity to come into contact with the live in the event of a fault.

This also suggested adding an extra socket by taking a L from the light switch and a N from the ceiling rose, in single cables.

Did electricians stop wearing three-piece suits at work before or after AA patrolmen stopped saluting?

I remember a book at school which said it was a good thing not to sleeve the earth and to give it maximum opportunity to come into contact with the live in the event of a fault.

This also suggested adding an extra socket by taking a L from the light switch and a N from the ceiling rose, in single cables.

Did electricians stop wearing three-piece suits at work before or after AA patrolmen stopped saluting?

What school did you go to???? and what publisher for books were they using!!! never heard that ever, even from old time served sparks in their 70's

What school did you go to???? and what publisher for books were they using!!! never heard that ever, even from old time served sparks in their 70's
Earth sleeving simply wasn't used till the 70's and even into the 80's was optional for the old timers.

"What school did you go to???? and what publisher for books were they using!!! never heard that ever, even from old time served sparks in their 70's
"

Wasn`t David Cockburn was it?

Earth sleeving simply wasn't used till the 70's and even into the 80's was optional for the old timers.

I should have made the quote clearer, i was referring to the extra socket by using the lighting circuit!

I should have made the quote clearer, i was referring to the extra socket by using the lighting circuit!

The house I was raised in was built in 1951 there were 5 radials with a 15A socket in: 3 bedrooms, dining room & lounge. 5A socket in the lounge on the upstairs lighting circuit and 5A socket in the kitchen on the downstairs lighting circuit. This sort of installation was, I believe, fairly normal in the era.

A friends house built mid 40's had virtually identical 5A circuits, but no power circuits, ie only 2 fuses in the installation. The main feed was rubber/cotton singles clipped along the front of the terrace of about a dozen houses and the whole lot fed by a 30A fuse. The earth was from the lead water pipe, a real quality installation. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back