Wheel balancing and alignment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just read online that once you remove a wheel even if you put it straight back on again it needs alignment and balancing again.
Is that true?

Sponsored Links
Hello, I've just read online that once you remove a wheel even if you put it straight back on again it needs alignment and balancing again.
Is that true?
Never heard of that. I've rotated wheel positions & never had a balance problem.

Sponsored Links
It’s the wheel and tyre that’s actually balanced so it can be fitted anywhere on the vehicle.
For really difficult problems, the wheel can be balanced on the hub - but I haven’t seen that done for years!
John

Is that true?
No but if you balance a wheel, take the tyre off and fit it straight back on it will need balancing again.

No but if you balance a wheel, take the tyre off and fit it straight back on it will need balancing again.
Not if you mark the valve position.
Unless you're nuts like me, then you waste the whole of £5 to balance it again.

See your point, though I think you must be in the minority J when it comes to removing/re-fitting your own tyres ;)

Nope, will still need balancing as there’s more than a 50/50 chance it will be out. I demonstrate it regularly to my students as it’s the answer to one of the questions they have to get right when being assessed. You balance a wheel everytime a tyre goes on regardless. Can be out by up to 5g/5g (which, in practice, will be hardly noticeable to the driver) and that could be due to the weight of the lube or even the tyre being slightly off centred but it defiantly needs checking and rebalancing.

It's nonsense but out of interest, where did you read it it was one

It's nonsense but out of interest, where did you read it?
Must have been a website for one of the biggish tyre centres. Possibly formula one. I think they said if you rotate your wheels you need a rebalance and align.

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
Back