Wheel locking nuts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, How to remove wheel locking nuts after losing keys, please.

Sponsored Links
If your car is recent there is a good chance that your main dealer will have a master set of nut keys, if the nuts were fitted by the manufacturer.....failing that, a firm called Irwin does a kit which essentially gets hammered onto the offending nut, it cuts its way into the steel and allows the thing to be undone. Available from motor factors etc.
John :)

Usually nuts come with a card giving the key number of the nuts. Often that card can be found with the handbook in the glove box or written in the handbook.
I threw my locking nuts away and put the normal ones back on. I'd rather have my wheels nicked that lose the key or be stuck in the rain with a puncture and a key that's slipping round the nut.

As John says, you can get locking nut removal sockets from machine mart or the likes for around £15 a set.
Failing that, you can usually get them off by hammering and old socket over them

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your, very quick, replies. A big help that will get it done.

or go to your local fast fit centre and ask them to whip them off,iro £10-£20
then give yourself a slap for losing the proper socket ;)
if buying a new set look on ebay unless you can get a set cheap locally?

I`ve always removed locking wheel nuts by smashing a just under socket onto them, if they are the solid type, if they are the ones that spin on the outside a hammer and chisel is the way forward

Back