Wheel of bed is hanging off

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, what type of tape though? Plumber's tape?
Almost any tape would help to jam the spindle into the thimble, but if it were me I'd try electrical tape. Unless you're constantly moving the bed around, the leg won't easily fall out.

but the advantage of a wood glue is that it might reinforce any cracking or wear in the drilled hole. The thimble method is much stronger that the screwed-on casters, unless the hole is damaged. May happen if the caster is jammed as it won't stand up to sideways force if dragged. Is OK to roll on a smooth floor. Might be possible to add a reinforcing plate, especially on corner.

You won't see a crack unless you pull off the fabric. Or have an endoscope?

Sponsored Links
The bottom panel of the bed is likely to be chipboard......if the castor hasn’t literally been ripped out I’d glue the stem back in with araldite.
If the hole is really knackered, consider making a 3mm steel square with a hole in the centre for the castor stem and a hole in the corner of the plate for fixing on to the bed panel.
John :)

The bottom panel of the bed is likely to be chipboard......if the castor hasn’t literally been ripped out I’d glue the stem back in with araldite.
If the hole is really knackered, consider making a 3mm steel square with a hole in the centre for the castor stem and a hole in the corner of the plate for fixing on to the bed panel.

So screw a plate onto the chipboard? Do you have an image of what sort of plate?

Thanks.

I could glue the spindle in the hole and even wrap tape around it beforehand to fill up the hole better.

How would a square metal-plate with a hole in the middle reinforce the wheel? The spindle would have to be squeezed through the hole in the metal- plate for it to work? The only way I see metal-plates working is if there are two parallel ones at either side of the spindle after the spindle is stuck/inserted in the bed-hole. That's what you mean?

Update: Wrapped the Grey Thimble in electrical tape and it was stiff getting it into hole (a good sign). Poured Gorrilla Wood Glue in to the the hole until it overflowed the brim and then hammered spindle in. Put a 5KG barbell weight on for several hours then turned it over and used bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back