When a flush fails to get rid of paper....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...is it because the pan has a rubbish design?

I have a concealed cistern, with a Grohe flush mechanism and push button wotsit. Paper not going away from the pan (sometime neither do the solids). I've taken it apart to check no obstructions, set it to the max flush and tried lifting the flush by hand instead of using the button, but still the flush appears to be the same "strength".The cistern is a moulded connector into the back of the pan, so I can't see how to swap the flush mechanism for a newer one ie it doesnt use the normal big plastic fixing nut to attach the flush to the cistern.

Might it be that the pan itself is poorly made and has tiny holes or not enough holes for the water to flush through? The WC is a "Utopia"

Sponsored Links
Could be some of the holes around the rim are blocked so the water in the pan is not stirred up enough,

this is a general problem, less water is being used for a flush, ( Water Conservation) this is why I suggest a Flapper valve to customers, at least they can use a whole cistern full of water to wash away a single piece of toilet paper.

Toilet rolls are made softer these days so the paper just seems to float rather than absorb water when the pan is flushed which is another problem

I think I'd need to swap the cistern itself, then, as it appears to be made to fit the grohe flush. Thanks.

After a bit more teting I think the issue is that the water doesn't really flush through the pan's internals very well. Having taken the cistern out and flushed it into the bath, I can see that the 6L gushes out plenty quick enough when the pan is NOT connected. I checked for obstructions to the back of the pan and in the holes under the rim. Seems to me that it won't allow enough of a gush to flush away the paper, which seems to just float on air bubbles on top of the water.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem with a grohe cistern and Catalano pans. Max water level on full flush. Two soil pipes exit down one to the side and all threee exhibit this issue.

toilet pan, you mean, or cistern? I think I need a new pan (well, 2, because the previous people installed the same set-up in the other bathroom :( )

"Might it be that the pan itself is poorly made and has tiny holes or not enough holes for the water to flush through? The WC is a "Utopia""

Yes.

A quick google shows me that Utopia sell what looks to me like designer ware.
which is plumberspeak for overpriced fancy **** which does not work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back