when can I lay ceramic tiles on new concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new conservatory built , the floor has been screeded and is perfectly level, my wife wants me to lay ceramic tiles. The concrete has been down for three weeks, the screed for one week and we have had a dehumodifier on constantly for the last 4 days. When would it be safe to lay tiles ? :?:

Sponsored Links
The longer you can leave it the better. A month would be better than a week. If you put a large inverted transparent plastic container down on it overnight, you should not tile if any condensation appears.

Also don't forget Part P if this involves new circuits. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I am just new to this computor stuff but find it really good, did not realize I had put my tiling question inthe electrics section. Have a good day one and all :)

Recommended screed drying time is 1 week per cm of screed - don't rush into it.

But the conservatory is 4 x 3m... he'll be dead before he can tile it....

Its the depth that counts........

But seriously leave it as long as you can, in damp humid weather double the drying time as moisture will take longer to come out.

Excessive de-humidifing may weaken the top surface by drawing out the moisture too quickly. One tiler I know leaves a minimum of a month before tiling a new screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back