when can I use the bath after applying mastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, water is leaking from my bathroom to the room below. I have no idea what could be causing this but I hope that it is just water leaking in from the side of the tub or something where there could be a gap in the mastic. If I re-mastic, how long will I have to wait before the bathroom can be used again?

p.s - Is mastic the same as silicon sealant?

Sponsored Links
You need to reseal around the bath with a quality sanitary Silicone. I always used to understand mastic sealer as being something rather tarry & gooey that never fully sets, completely unsuitable for a bathroom. Just to confuse matters it seems products are now sold as silicone mastic so in terms of my somewhat dated understanding, a contradiction of terms as I know them.

You must remove all the old seal first & clean surfaces thoroughly, don’t just squirt the new sealer over the top, it won’t stick. Fill the bath with water, apply the new silicone bead & leave until next day (at least 12 hours), the bath should then be OK to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back