When changing door hinges/ironmongery..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is best/most common practice for accommodating new hinges and strike plates when existing rebates might be larger/deeper than required? I've seen the hinges packed out with screws under the hinge before but it didn't look very tidy. Would you inlay larger pieces of timber for hinges and strike plates.. or something else?

Sponsored Links
You can buy plastic shims but thin card works as well.

Blup

kaseryn, good evening.

I used to use hard cardboard and at times used hardboard, trick was that the cut that was visible had to be clean on the hinges

More problematic at the striking plates? They tend to be more in your line of sight.

Ken

Sponsored Links
Likewise. A neatly fitted "Dutchman" is almost invisible when properly executed and well painted

there are intumescent pads made for that purpose (and mostly used on fire doors)

Thanks for the replies ppl. Foxhole.. what do you fill with, and JobAndKnock.. what's a Dutchman, apart from the obvious i mean? :)

.. what's a Dutchman, apart from the obvious i mean? :)
A "Dutchman" is a solid wood repair piece used to repair a recess which is no longer required. It is cut a bit thicker (a few millimetres) than the depth of the recess and slightly larger. This is used as a template to mark out (very sharp knife) then slightly enlarge the recess with a sharp chisel (giving a nice clean joint). Excess timber is then planed off with a block plane. Done properly very little, if any, filler will be required. As to where the name came from, I have no idea, but it was common where I learned my trade. Possibly American in origin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back