When did breezeblocks start getting used in the uk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved a doorframe to enlarge the wc. One wall is a dividing wall between wc and bathroom. This wall has caused various issues (built on 4.5m joists, taking roof load, deflecting floor, 50mm holes in all joists for waste pipes, and have had to get an rsj fitted, as per plans from structural engineer)

Bit of a mess really.

Anyhow I digress.

House was built between 1914 and 1925. All internal walls are red brick. When moving tbe door frame I discovered the dividing wall is breezeblock, so guessing a later addition.

This got me wondering about a date. When did breezeblocks become common for usage? Just idly curious about maybe dating this wall...

20201108_203758.jpg

Sponsored Links
1930's but more common post war.
My 1955(?) house was built using some.

Presumably post war (during the war?) they were popular because of less energy needed to make them, quicker to build with and possibly cheaper per square foot.

Sponsored Links
I keep finding small concrete blocks, or just concrete, in my 1930s brick built house.
No idea why they are there, seem random! I did wonder if they were holes left in the walls for wooden scaffolding, then filled in with concrete - could that be it?

Back