When did you last play a vinyl record?

Joined
16 Sep 2006
Messages
8,368
Reaction score
2,822
Location
Fife
Country
United Kingdom
No cheating now!

When was the last time you played a vinyl record? And do you still have a record player and record collection whether large or small? To younger members, have you ever played a vinyl record?

For me it has to be 30+ years ago. No longer have a player or any vinyl records.
 
About 2 years ago when I bought a record deck, the first I'd owned in over 30 years. Dug out all the old vinyl and the novelty wore off after a month or two.
I was just thinking a few weeks ago I should give it another bash.
There's too many easier ways these days, youtube, spotify etc.
 
About 2 years ago when I bought a record deck, the first I'd owned in over 30 years. Dug out all the old vinyl and the novelty wore off after a month or two.
I was just thinking a few weeks ago I should give it another bash.
There's too many easier ways these days, youtube, spotify etc.
I think folk who are really into their music say vinyl gives a more rounded sound (if played on decent equipment), as to how true that is I couldn't say.
 
I had a lovely Pioneer deck and amp with Wharfdale speakers that cost £250 but like a fool I chucked them after a loft clear out when I thought CDs were here to stay and the shops had long stopped selling vinyl albums. The great selling point of CD’s was the clearer sound they gave but in hindsight I’m not convinced it was.
 
I had a lovely Pioneer deck and amp with Wharfdale speakers that cost £250 but like a fool I chucked them after a loft clear out when I thought CDs were here to stay and the shops had long stopped selling vinyl albums. The great selling point of CD’s was the clearer sound they gave but in hindsight I’m not convinced it was.
Top notch gear. worth a fair bit now. Vintage hifi gear is very much in vogue
 
Last edited:
I play records regularly, I never stopped.

Sound quality-wise, rock records from the 1960s, especially British ones, are the pinnacle of sound reproduction. No CD can beat them, provided, of course, that you have a 60s original pressing and it is in good nick. Early 1970s vinyl records often sound dull, the preference was for a muted sound rather than the pin-sharpness of the 60s, and so for these recordings CDs can be an improvement, but not always. Sharpness came back in the late 70s, and vinyl quality improved. By the 80s, vinyl quality was the worst.ever, with very flimsy discs, and so from thereon, CDs are my preferred option.

For classical music, CDs are a must. Vinyl records are too noisy for the quiet passages.

Cassettes were only ever good for home recording. Official music releases on cassettes did not last long and had much inferior sound quality compared to records. They are becoming collectable though.

The world of downloads and Spotify etc. is not for me, I like to own a physical item.
 
Queen: Jazz.
I thought it was more recent but has to be five years ago now. (Never thought it'd be a gap that large back in the day when the turntable was almost constantly spinning.)
 
I play records regularly, I never stopped.

Sound quality-wise, rock records from the 1960s, especially British ones, are the pinnacle of sound reproduction. No CD can beat them, provided, of course, that you have a 60s original pressing and it is in good nick. Early 1970s vinyl records often sound dull, the preference was for a muted sound rather than the pin-sharpness of the 60s, and so for these recordings CDs can be an improvement, but not always. Sharpness came back in the late 70s, and vinyl quality improved. By the 80s, vinyl quality was the worst.ever, with very flimsy discs, and so from thereon, CDs are my preferred option.

For classical music, CDs are a must. Vinyl records are too noisy for the quiet passages.

Cassettes were only ever good for home recording. Official music releases on cassettes did not last long and had much inferior sound quality compared to records. They are becoming collectable though.

The world of downloads and Spotify etc. is not for me, I like to own a physical item.
That is the thing, a download is simply a digital file which is not a physical thing, a record is an actual thing you purchase and hold in a collection. Even some of the album covers are works of art in their own rights. Try selling a digital file and see what it is worth.
 
Back
Top