When Mrs Secure Sliced Through The Hedgetrimmer Flex...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...what happened to the protective devices?
(In the circuit were a 1362 13A fuse followed by a 3871 B32 breaker and finally a 4293 63A 30mA RCD)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
...what happened to the protective devices?
(In the circuit were a 1362 13A fuse followed by a 3871 B32 breaker and finally a 4293 63A 30mA RCD)
As I think I reported at the time, the last time I did this (with essentially the same protective devices in circuit), it was (only) the B32 that operated. The time before that (yes, I know I should be more careful :) ), none of the devices operated.

Kind Regards, John

Do you think it would have been any different if the flex had had an earthed core in it?

Do you think it would have been any different if the flex had had an earthed core in it?
As we've often discussed, quite possibly (and, as you know, I am a great believer in 3-core flex for such tools). However, even with an earth core, the duration of contact between one of the live cores and earth could be a fairly small fraction of a cycle, and I don't know how likely an RCD is to operate with such a transient earth fault - do you?

Kind Regards, John

I should look more closely next time.. I thought that flex did have an earth core! :oops:

EFLI got there first. Yup, nothing... :eek:
... like my penultimate experience, then :)

As I've just written in terms of RCDs, and I think the same is true of OPDs, I personally know little/nothing about the duration of a fault (earth fault or over-current, respectively) required for a protective device to operate - does anyone? In the case of a fuse, I would guess/assume that if the duration of the over-current is appreciably less than the time it would take that current to cause the fuse to operate, then it probably won't operate. However, I don't really know in relation to RCDs and MCBs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back